Friday, July 10, 2020

Horror Friday: Silly British Horror

We are turning our annual British Horror marathon marking Wimbledon into a #StayAtHome marathon this year featuring silly British Horror instead. Hope everyone is safe!! 

[Wow! Just re-read this and realised how many times I used "lesser known" Damn!! My mind is not what it used to be]

  
One of my favorites from childhood, this was a frequent selection on local Friday Frights shows with horror hosts, and occasionally the odd selection the Saturday Afternoon sci-fi marathons that used to be a thing.  As an adult, it hasn't thrilled me nearly as much as it did when I was kid, but I still have fond memories of it.










A lesser known Hammer Horror from the early 70's directed by John Hough, combines the odd combination of puritanism/witchfinding with vampires. Must be the only horror film to have done that (at least I think it is).








This is a lesser known Hammer Horror that I am not as familiar with as others from this time period (early 1970's). It was directed by Robert Young & represents his directorial debut. It features the always watchable Adrienne Corri and Emil Higgins. 







This is one of Pete Walker's lesser known efforts (people are a lot more likely to have heard of House of Whipcord or Die Screaming Marianne...or even his last film House of Long Shadows). This one comes from my own collection of British oddities. 












This needs no introduction here! Any excuse I have to play this film I will take! Period.






It was time to get out of the 70's and feature something significantly more modern...and I do love this film!! England is definitely big enough for more than one really, really funny ZomCom! 








As I've stated many times before, this is one of my personal favorite British horror films of all time; it is certainly my favorite Amicus (sorry The Beast Must Die). Again, it's probably because I first saw it late one Friday night when I was probably too young to watch some such, on one of the local horror host shows. I really honestly don't remember when I first saw it...I mean it is older than me 😅 










This is essentially a sequel to Dracula AD 1972, I have a preference for this film (love the soundtrack), despite that it was considered inferior to it's mate. This film was for years in the public domain....oh how I wish for a blu ray edition of this film--my old DVD copy is getting long in the tooth...pun intended...




No comments:

Post a Comment