Wednesday, October 25, 2023

31 Days of Horror Recommendations: Rosemary's Baby (1968)

 



Year: 1968

Country: U.S.

Subgenre: Satanism/Witches

Runtime: 137 minutes

Director: Roman Polanski



I am adding this to my recommendations this year in part from a suggestion by my mother to do so. I mean, I have VERY vivid memories of her telling me about this film LONG before I saw it. She caught it in the theater with a sister and it scared the 💩 out of them!  Also, let's face it, Roman Polanski's work hasn't had a lot of peeps recommending them recently due to his absolutely horrendous sex crimes. Completely understandable!!!!  So why then am I choosing to add this to my list (personal experiences aside); I mean, the film needs NO introduction! It's because he didn't make this film alone and it's scary as hell. I have always had a problem with people demanding the boycott of works like this based on the criminal actions of one person. This is NOT Victor Salva's Clownhouse in terms of production; it was a major motion picture, with well over 100 active crew members, and many, many more active behind the scenes. So not watching it during October if you want a good scare because somehow you think you are taking the moral high road seems a little silly to me. If you specifically can't stomach it because you are sickened by Polanski, that's fine and completely understandable too. Especially considering the sexual content in the film. But, I have come in contact with people on social media crowing about how sad they are that they can no longer watch this film because they love it so much...but, you know, Polanski. For heaven's sake, just watch it. Maybe do something that is really going to matter; get out the wallet and donate to a sexual survivor charity. To your local women's shelter. To the few charities out there that are collecting money to process the back log of rape kits! Getting off the real life heavy stuff and onto the cinematic heavy stuff, Rosemary's Baby is among the most classic horrors of all time (!); going so far as to garner two Oscar nominations, with Ruth Gordon taking home the statue for Best Supporting Actress! Ira Levin famously wrote the novel that the film was adapted from, and that book remains one of the best selling horror novels of all time (even out-selling a number of Stephen King classics in the long run). So here ya go ma! I am whole-heartedly recommending Rosemary's Baby for a Spooktober scare-the-hell out of you late night watch. 






















No comments:

Post a Comment