Friday, October 14, 2011

The Last House On The Left (1972)



This is definitely one of the most infamous horror films of all time!  It's just when you actually sit down and watch this early Wes Craven entry, the horror is just so odd ball next the the music...especially the Keystone Cop slapstick stuff in regards the the rapists.  There's also a kind of Bonnie and Clyde thing going one while they are driving around with the girls in the trunk--it's all so weird.  And yes, horrifying when juxtaposed with the parents and their birthday plans for their daughter.  I don't know, but every time I watch this I almost feel as much animosity for Craven as I do the antagonists.  I mean, really, what is really motivating these people??  Just generational lawlessness that has gone all sexually sadistic??  And...I always find myself wanting to go watch a Tobe Hooper film afterward.  The second half of the film is pure fantasy..it's the sort of fantasy that parents of murdered kids really have--that the person or persons who took the life of their child somehow makes their way by happenstance into their private domain.  People wish--but this NEVER happens.  It's definitely an American horror classic, I'm just not personally sure what kind it is....maybe it's just the kind that I can't warm up to.


No comments:

Post a Comment