Monday, October 3, 2011

Poirot: Murder On The Orient Express (2010)


While I love that I now own a Suchet Poirot on Blu Ray, that last time I watched this back on August for a Friday Frights filled with snow, I (and wasn't the only one) noticed two things that were a bit problematic.  One:  the blu ray has some problems in places--they show up in the darks that are supposed to be rich and error free--ok, that's a manufacturing problem.  



The second problem that really grated on me, which I admit I didn't really notice the first (and only) time I watched it, was the odd devotion that Poirot suddenly has in "supernatural" matters.  Granted, I remember reading this several times years and years ago and remember well Poirot's outrage in the narrative as being intense--but religious it was not (unless I just don't remember correctly).  Also, granted, as the Poirot movies have moved through the series, the later ones get darker and darker, but having Poirot walk off in a "haze" clinging a rosary--that's over the top.  I love this series so much that it bugs me that it went that far.  I don't know if it's Suchet, or the sense of the dealing with such a popular Christie story--don't know, but I'm sure that the ever logical Belgian turn English detective, is/was not a morose fall back on what Poirot seemed to regard as illogical in Christie's writing.  In this sense, the 1974 film with Albert Finney really follows the novel much more faithfully.






No comments:

Post a Comment