Thursday, October 6, 2011

Theme Recipe: Non-Alcoholic Halloween Julep


Orange Halloween Julep

I grew up with the Orange Julius food franchise.  I was "shocked" later on as a young adult, that other people from around the US either seriously hated the Julius, or just plain looked me like I had horns growing out of my head because I admitted that I really liked the Orange Julius drink.  But I am from Florida, and a common "kiddie drink" was the traditional Orange Julep, very popular around Halloween.  It had two incarnations:  one with straight orange juice, and the other with the dreaded Julius milk added.  I loved them both.

For One Drink:

4 oz Orange Juice
2 oz COLD water
1/2 oz. simple syrup (that's just sugar water)
Touch real vanilla
Ice for blender

Place all ingredients in blender and blend on high (pulsing as needed) to turn into a smoothie.  Pour into glass, add straw and garnish with fresh herbs (mint)


My favorite variation to this is to add milk to the smoothie.  This is what I had as a kid.   Only a blender can "frappe" this properly.  It is quite tasty, but it depends on how sweet the oranges are.  my earliest memories of this treat in fall was from fresh oranges that ripened during October in a grove that our house sat on.  


If you want to make it a "proper cocktail" add an add 1 oz frozen vodka, cut the cold water in half, and omit the blending.  Use a cocktail shaker instead, fill with ice, shake and strain into a chilled stemmed glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment