Friday, May 8, 2015

Nova: Nazi Attack On America




The wreck of this U-Boat lies no all that far from where I grew up.  I can only imagine what the local history would have been like had the U-Boat attack fully succeeded in it's plan.  As it was, 5,000 people were killed in the Gulf and elsewhere in American waters by German U-Boats.  This boat, U-166, sank four vessels, all them non-military.  Two were not even merchants, one was a fishing vessel, another a sailing craft registered in the Dominican Republic. This wreck is less than 1 hundred miles off the north Florida coast out from Apalachicola. 






2 comments:

  1. Thank you for putting this account on your blog. I was a small child living in S.carolina at the time, but years later moved very close to where this wreck now lays in the Gulf. I don't remember this at all so I appreciate you showing the pictures. Happy V Day America

    ReplyDelete