Friday, August 5, 2011

Poirot: Murder On The Orient Express

This has always been my favorite Agatha Christie bar none.  While I do like the 1974 rendition with Albert Finney as the great Belgian detective, I've been waiting for years for the Suchet production crew to get around to it.  They are such a class act, I didn't have any idea that they would do anything other than a good job with it, but I do admit to being inpatient with it's getting done.  To add annoyance to this, PBS delayed it's US premiere by a whole year and a half.  They were dragging their feet more than usual with the BBC stuff.  So when I got the see it for the first time, I miffed be the screen quality (for some unknown reason PBS has gone back to the standard screen, from the wide screen format that they had previously adopted--EVERYTHING is cropped).  I never in a million years thought they would put this on Blu Ray...but they did and it looks stunning!


It is the one of the best scary stories set in snow.  The train rams right into a snow bank built up around a tunnel and the train stops, snow bound.  This is eastern Europe in an inaccessible location, it will take days, if not weeks, to get a snow plow out.  Without this snow accident, the gray cells of the great detective would not have been activated so early, when a murder is discovered, prematurely, on the train.  






The Cast


More Creepy Frigid Scapes

No comments:

Post a Comment