Thursday, October 21, 2010

Zombieland--My Hometown Horror



Part of Zombieland was shot in the town that I live in south Georgia.  That would be the part at the so-called "Pacific Playland."  Which actually our local theme park of some renown, Wild Adventures.  Which, truth be told, is not really in Valdosta, it's out in the boonies in a place called Clyattville (which yes if you look it up on a Google Map, it will come up as Valdosta--but try arguing that with people who actually live there...!)  Many of the zombie extras in this part of the film are students from Valdosta State University, where my husband teaches.  The University had to actually make time for the student body to go see the movie when it premiered here.  If a student wasn't actually an extra, they knew someone who was.

If you look closely when the girls are creeping into the park's parking lot, you can clearly see Spanish Moss hanging from Live Oak trees.  It's not a serious goof, but clearly, as these plants are native to here in the Southeast, "Pacific Playland" is nowhere near the west coast.


This roller coaster used to be known as "The Bug Out"--it is the coaster that Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson) is shooting zombies from.  It does indeed have a "bug out" effect which I like, my husband who rode it with me on the other hand was less than thrilled.  I guess they just slapped a new paint job on it and renamed it "Go Bananas"--which I don't like nearly as much.




Well here they are.  VSU's finest!





Wild Adventures also loves Halloween.  For the kiddies they have Kid-O-Ween and for us adults there is Phobia.  They have a whole park filled with all manner of roller coasters---and oh, do I love a good coaster!  My one complaint.....they feed the gators too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment