Friday, April 1, 2011

Chungking Express (1994)


The third and last artisinal April Fool film of the day, is a film by renowned experimental Hong Kong director Kar Wai Wong (although he was born in Shanghai).  Chungking Express, is viewed as a comedy romance filmed through odd prisms of light and reflection.  But there is, most intriguing to me, a very solid mystery element to it (I LOVE a good mystery!), splashed about with very garish scenes of crime and almost comic book violence.  And yes, there is an April Fools Day.  

This is the only blu-ray of the day; and I mention it only because it is the very first blu-ray released by The Criterion Collection.  I haven't viewed it yet, but from what I've read it looks terrific, and so much of an improvement of DVD releases!













No comments:

Post a Comment