Friday, July 3, 2020

4th Of July: Stupid/Silly American Horror


This is my favorite Frank Henenlotter film, I suppose it helps that it came out when I was still in school and schlocky New York area horror was really coming into it's own. Watching it these days, I have a new appreciation for the special effects that, at the time, were considered cheesy, but now are straight up "old school." I've always had special appreciation for the claymation in it. 




I am a long time fan of Mr. Larry Cohen (RIP). He's has given up some of the best of independent grindhouse films from the 70's, 80's & 90's. This is one of my favorites actually set and filmed in New York City & makes a great double feature with Basket Case! Happy 4th y'all!




Though directed by a Brit, this is a slice of pure "American gothic," better known as "redneck horror." The advertisement from the motel's smokehouse (which also doubles as one of the movie's taglines) says it all: It Takes All Kinds Of Critters To Make Farmer Vincent's Fritters!






Just had to go with the Joe Bob's Last Drive-In edition of this absolute classic. Love me some Chuck Conner's! [If anyone happens to be both an indie horror fan and a fan of the Coen Brothers--"Branded" is mentioned in The Big Lebowski--well in reality the series was only one for 1 season, and was credited by mister indie horror himself: Larry Cohen...and it starred one Chuck Connors...small, small world!]








Two words: FUNKY GORE!! 





#StupidAmericanHorror!




I would consider this a true American classic! I just love Barbara Crampton in anything, add in Dick Miller--you've truly sold me!





Okay....hands down:  My Favorite!!

1 comment: