Friday, August 5, 2011

Ahh...The 70's: Snowbeast (1977)


I admit a secret affection for this film.  It's soooo 70's, right on that cusp of moving from "The Rockford Files" to the 1980's "Magnum P.I."  I really like that it was shot on location in the winter.  You know how you tell if the snow is fake? The breath doesn't show.  The there is lots of real frigid breath vapor in this one.  It's just cold...and I love cold.  Also it's kind of easy to forget that it's a "abominable snowman" movie.  It's vaguely menacing, due to the human tension and contention, and the solitary snow searches.  I hate to mention it, but it's got a bit of the same vibe as The Shining, which is, of course, a horror masterpiece.  I'm a big fan of the late director Stanley Kubrick; one of the things I know about him is that he watched EVERYTHING.  He even had commercials sent to him to view at home (he didn't watch television).  So maybe it's just me, or maybe, Kubrick being a serious cinematic genius, knew how to mine gold from rough movie ore.  Just a thought.


Anyway, the dude in the "monkey suit" is enough for most people, probably a lot younger than me, to utterly dismiss the film flat out.  And the suit is REALLY ridiculous!!  I do recall watching this on TV, even taping it on VHS, and kind of forgetting that it was a "bigfoot" movie.  I think, growing up in the deep south, I just liked watching the skiing.  I was also a fan of the Andy Griffith movies of the 70's made for television that don't really get shown anymore, one of which is entitled Winter Kill.  I taped all of those as well.  This reminds me a lot of those made for TV movies.  Tapes are long gone by now, of course; but with my first VCR I taped all sorts of creature features for Fridays (I've been at this Friday Fright thing for a while!) glad just to have a selection that wasn't just at the mercy of my cable box!




OK this just looks like someone has been at it with a rake.

That's a hell of a bad monkey suit!
Below is the Snow Hill Inn located Maryland

It's nickname is the "Haunted Snow Inn"

No comments:

Post a Comment